Sunday, September 12, 2010

Skeeter is a madwoman!

A couple of weeks ago I read The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. It was an incredibly powerful book with shades of both To Kill a Mockingbird and The Secret Life of Bees. It occurred to me as I was finishing up, that Skeeter is a modern madwoman. She's strong, powerful and evaluated by her peers as anything from eccentric to downright nuts! She breaks all the conventions, norms and unwritten rules in her society and as a result is cast out.
I know that at least two of the other madwomen have read the book. What do you gals think?

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED The Help and I totally agree that Skeeter is a madwoman. What makes it even better is that she writes her book in the attic of her parent's home!

    One of my favorite parts of the book was Skeeter's reaction to the first Bob Dylan song she heard. I loved how it was her own personal catalyst to shuck off the persona that was demanded of her from childhood and embrace her true colors - mini-skirts, short hair, and all.

    Go Skeeter! She's truly a phenomenal woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I totally overlooked the fact that she wrote the book in the attic. Brilliant!
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like when our madwomen walk the tightrope between eccentricity and societal norms, which she manages to do throughout much of the story. I also think Kathryn Stockett is something of a rebel. In an interview in Garden & Gun Magazine it is noted how brave it was to break a taboo and, as a white woman, write in a black woman's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone know of any literary madwomen "living" in 2010(ish)? What are the societal norms that a madwomen would break in today's society?
    Also, do you happen to know which issue that article appeared in? I'd like to see it.
    - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you both read Garden & Gun magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, Ellen DeGenneris is a present day madwoman!

    Miss H.

    ReplyDelete