Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Luke-Warm Review

I tried to get through Wicked, the novel, before starting the madness of the school year, but just couldn't finish. Although the book brings in an interesting (and very social work appropriate!) view point that one shouldn't make assumptions about a person or a story without knowing the full background, it was bogged down by all sorts of political commentary about Oz. This may have been tolerable if Oz resembled a current nation or government, but, alas, it seemed to be a complete fantasy land. The life of Elphie, (who becomes the Witch of the West), is a bit too detailed, which makes reading slow going. It has some interesting portions, and the dynamic between Elphie and Glinda (the good witch) is great, but only takes place when the two are forced roommates in college.

All in all, I'm not terribly concerned that I probably will never finish the 100 pages or so that I have left.

Final Review: 1/2 a star

Miss H

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't the original Wizard of Oz supposed to be a political allegory? Something about the gold standard and William Jennings Bryan? At least that's what my eighth grade Social Studies teacher claimed...
    Hopefully the musical is better than the book. You should still download the music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People LOVE this book (obviously) and I have never had the least bit of interest- so glad that someone out there has validated this : )
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really cute! I went last Saturday night and the place was packed. The girl I sat next to seemed to be a pretty big Wicked fan and was singing along and/or crying through most of the production, but aside from that distraction I liked the show. I thought that the musical was much more plot-focused than the book, so I got into it a lot more. And the relationship between Elphie and Glinda was, at times, very funny and endearing.

    ReplyDelete