Thursday, September 16, 2010

eat.pray.love…..repeat.

This must be the 4th or 5th time I’ve read this book and I still can’t get enough. Each time I read it I have to remind myself to read slowly and enjoy every sentence of each page… even though in my mind I am already excited and anticipating the next part of Elizabeth’s journey. I love how she writes without trying to impress anyone. Nowhere in the book does she try to be politically correct… “Say the right thing” or try to appease any specific audience. In fact, at the beginning she calls out to anyone who might be offended of her use of the word God to close her book, and peacefully put it back on the shelf.
I feel like Elizabeth Gilbert and I are in our favorite coffee shop (you know, the one with art hanging on every wall… the smell of pumpkin spice coffee brewing… my favorite Frank Sinatra style song playing softly in the background…sitting on couches instead of chairs… nobody speaking above a ’12 inch voice’ or talking on their most trendy mobile device.) So there we are, sitting in our lovely little coffee shop and she is telling me about her year abroad. The year she spent on herself…finding herself. The year she spend doing exactly what she wanted to do. It doesn’t matter that we haven’t seen each other in ages… she still tells me every detail. She doesn’t paint herself to be a rosy white angel with wings and bells on. Instead she tells me everything that brought her to where she is now.
As I am listening to my bff Liz tell me her beautiful story, I can’t help but be pulled in and wonder where I would go. What I would do. What would I look for and what would I give up to find it? Would I ever take that leap of faith? I’d like to think I’d be able to, but I’m not so sure. …So back I go, listening to Liz go on about her adventure. And I’m transported to Italy. Ahh… Italy… the land of pasta, pizza, Italian men… and the most wonderful assortment of gelato available in the world. Turns out, gelato is a perfectly acceptable breakfast in Italy! Can I move there yet? Her description of authentic Italian foods will rival any New York Times foodru (that’s foodie and guru put together)… any Paula Dean cooking show, and will come fist to fist with the guy on Diners, Drive In’s and Dives. She keeps talking about visiting different towns in Italy and Rome and instead of museums and shopping and Churches… it’s where to find the best pasta, seafood or dessert. Usually, she is given a piece of paper with an address scribbled on it by a local… leading her to a hole in the wall restaurant that just so happens to have “..the fluffiest ricotta in all of Italy…” *sigh* I want to go there too… my heart keeps saying… Someday… my head says back.
I’m going to go back to listening to this story. India is coming up soon… and then Bali is next. I can’t WAIT to hear what happens in Bali.
Come over to our coffee shop. You’ll love this story. Liz would love to meet you and tell you everything. If you can’t make it, she wrote it all down. I’ll let you borrow my copy.

xoxo, Clementine.

8 comments:

  1. Clementine,
    Your review is certainly persuasive...I'm an Eat, Pray, Love holdout, and here's the reason why. I don't understand why she has to travel around the world to find herself. I mean...maybe if she found herself in Italy and stayed there, I might buy it. But she comes back home. It seems to me the lesson learned is that the person she is, is the person she was at home. Reminds me of that terrible Bon Jovi song...but I digress. Maybe I'm just jealous because I can't take a year off and travel around the world! Maybe I need to take you up on your offer to loan out your copy. You certainly describe her as a friend, compatriot, everywoman. Maybe I'm missing out!
    What did you think of the movie? Approach, meet or exceed expectations?
    Oh, and for the record, I'm a huge fan of Bon Jovi, just can't stand that song ("Who says - you can't go home?")
    - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca!!
    It is so funny you wrote "It seems to me the lesson learned is that the person she is, is the person she was at home."
    at the end of the book... she writes about how the person she is now, was just a more mature version of who she was. ... very insightful Rebecca... very insightful!!

    The movie.

    I went to the movie with two of the women I love most in the world. (Mom and Constance)
    I walked away from the movie thinking "what about this part?! what about this part?! What about THIS AMAZING part!?!?"
    In short.... I loved going to the movie because of the company I was with.... I did not like the hollywood version of this story. I think it totally sold the book short.

    If you haven't seen the movie... read the book first. If you have seen the movie... read the book second.

    You wont be dissapointed... but you will come away with questions. Good Questions :)

    xoxo Miss You Rebecca!!!

    ~Clementine

    ReplyDelete
  3. mature is the wrong word... more like... "Developed" :) ~C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you too, Clementine! I hate the book/movie conundrum. On rare occasions the movie is better than the book, but most of the time they miss all the stuff that I love. So if I take the plunge, I'll take your word for it and read the book. I love that you have a relationship with the author...it's rare to find that in a memoir (I certainly didn't have it with Frank in our last memoir endeavor, ugh!) and your enthusiasm is really making me consider it. Maybe my aversion is really jealousy! I'd love to release my responsibilities and get away for a year, but I know there's no way that will happen...so maybe I'm just harboring all kinds of resentment towards the woman who was able to do it. Am I really that petty? Maybe I should be open like you...you might just convince me to read it!
    BTW, you and Savannah get to pick our next group read, although we may have to wait til Miss Havisham is on vacation to actually read it. Any ideas???
    -Rebecca DeWinter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ladies,

    I also LOVED Eat, Pray, Love! It is really refreshing to hear about someone who is able to take a step back from her life, do things she enjoys without worrying about repercussions, and finding that in the end, everything works out. And while I'm jealous of her lifestyle affording her the trip of a life time (really, she got paid, in advance, to travel around the world for a year and write!), the book's "deeper life meanings" have stuck with me over the years.

    I decided not to see the movie because I didn't want to ruin the book. And also because I really don't like Julia Roberts.

    Miss H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss H - I really don't like Julia Roberts either! - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book I REALLY want to read is the one that her ex-husband was asked to write about the fallout in his life from her decision. But since I haven't read her book I don't have any sense of the type of person he was and whether or not he deserved the split!
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I remember correctly she was a mess and he was pretty normal. I found her really hard to like in the beginning - very ego-centric and soccer-mom-ish. She reminded me of a few of those lovely moms I got to work with this summer. Correct me if I'm wrong, Clemintine; it has been a few years since I read it!

    Miss H.

    ReplyDelete