Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Distant Hours

I know I never write anything on here, but honestly I don't often read a book that I really like enough to share. Well, I am completely flumoxed and turned upside down by The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I can't think of another book more appropriate to a book club whose name includes "The Madwomen." It is so gothic. The three Blythe sisters are all madwomen in the attic, and almost literally so. This story has so many twists and turns, with each sister suffering her own heartbreak. Their stories are all layered and held together by their father, the author of a famous children's novel. The web of anguish also reaches out to affect the young girl who is evacuated to the castle from London during World War II. This in turn affects her own daughter. The Distant Hours shows how deeply parental misery may affect children and how the expectations of previous generations can really dictate how a life is lived, despite all efforts made towards normalcy and happiness.- Savannah

2 comments:

  1. Sounds disturbing...yet strangely intriguing as well. When I pull myself out of fantasyland, maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
    RDeW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to be getting some new book recommendations. (And YAY, keep posting!) I've been making my way half-heartedly through a few reads, but nothing has been sticking with me and I'm getting bored. Now I've got some new ideas!

    - Miss H.

    ReplyDelete