Thursday, June 9, 2011

From India, With Love

A few months back we had a discussion about literary passions, and one Madwoman in particular divulged her secret love affair with novels set in historical India. One of the books on the subject she recommended was Beneath a Marble Sky, which I have recently begun to read. I am about half way through and about to start section 3 of 4 in the novel. I am beginning to enjoy it very much!

This is not a typical book I would pick out for myself if I were to browse the bookstore. While I enjoy historical fiction, I know next to nothing about historical India, so I was slightly afraid that I would be lost in the references in this book. Luckily, the book is a romance more than anything, with only general references to the politics and history of the time period, so its very easy to follow along. What I am enjoying most about the book is the author's skill at creating suspense. The main character keeps hinting that there is going to be some sort of treacherous event that happens, and I have a vague idea of what it may entail, but the plot keeps getting more and more involved, so it's keeping me guessing. I'm getting more and more drawn into the story, and I'm guessing I'll be able to finish it in the next few days. I'll post an update when I do!

Miss. H.

1 comment: