Monday, August 30, 2010

Moving On

After failing to get through Born Round (that's right, I'm a quitter) I moved on to the wonderful Beneath a Marble Sky. Centered around the building of the Taj Mahal and the emperor's family, it made me realize that I truly know nothing about the history of India. What was most interesting to me was that the century could have remained a mystery to me for almost the entirety of the book if it weren't listed on the cover. The acceptance of concubines, sexual promiscuity and experimentation (if only for men), combined with an emphasis on the arts reminded me of ancient societies. Also similar was the disparity between the sophistication displayed by the arts and the brutality displayed by war and in disregard for life. More to come when I can get together my thoughts on the role of women in 17th century India and how it compares to the same in Europe.

Lazily yours,
Savannah

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! I am not-so-secretly obsessed with historical fiction set in India. Another favorite is The Far Pavilions by MM Kaye. It's set during colonial times and I periodically re-read it every five years or so. I'm curious to hear your comparisons to European women of the same time...I hate to admit that I just read it for the plot, and didn't have nearly as many insights as you did!
    -Rebecca DeW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the book talk a lot about religion and sexuality? I believe, although I know very little about it, that the two are much more intertwined in traditional Indian culture...

    Miss. H

    ReplyDelete