Monday, November 19, 2012

High Hopes

Lately I've been awfully lazy about reading. Nothing has appealed...until today. I read a recommendation for Justin Cronin's The Passage, including the following details: dystopian/post apocalyptic fiction, 600 pages, and first in a series. An online search gave me access to the first chapter, and a trip to B&N later, I was hooked!

I'm two and a half chapters in and I can't figure out this book. It opens with the abandonment of a young girl by her mother who has lost all hope of being able to provide for her. According to the blurb on the back this girl, who I last saw on the doorstep of a convent in Memphis at the end of chapter one, will be the protagonist. Chapter two brought me on a scientific expedition to Bolivia, with overtones of vampires, while chapter three promises a gritty legal drama, complete with death row inmate and FBI agent. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what to make of the plot yet, but I'm pretty engaged and I've got great expectations for the next 580 pages! I'll keep you all posted...
RDeW.

1 comment:

  1. How very exciting! You will have to update on how it ends up. Is the book aimed at a young adult audience? Is it starting to come together a little more?

    Dani

    ReplyDelete