Thursday, August 11, 2011

Books Re-Made into Movies

I spent a lovely afternoon at the movie theater today watching the movie-version of The Help. As with most movies based on books that I had previously read and loved, my feelings going into the theater were mixed. I was excited to dive back into a story that I thoroughly enjoyed, but at the same time dreaded that the movie would fall flat. Too many times I have been disappointed by films based on books. Either the adaptations stray too far from the original novel, crucial pieces of the plot are cut out, or character development is sacrificed for the whole plot to be squeezed into a 2 hour time slot.

However, the film version of The Help was as enjoyable as the hardcover version! In fact, this may actually be a movie that was, dare I say it, BETTER than the original novel. The visual scenes of the turmoil and racism in the movie were more powerful on a screen than in my mind's eye. The movie version made it more real for me. I was also very impressed by Emma Stone's dramatization of Skeeter. Her acting abilities shone through in this role, and it was good to see her in a more dramatic role than many of her previous roles in comedy.

I believe the majority of the Madwomen have read the book. So, are you planning on seeing the movie? What ruins film versions of books for you? Any reactions from those who may have seen the movie already?

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing The Help, although I may have to go by myself. I don't have any friends down here who want to see it. I absolutely loved the book, so I've been looking forward to the movie for awhile. I must admit though, the previews struck me as a little...lighthearted. I don't remember it as being a particularly lighthearted or amusing story (well, except for the denouement). It ended on a hopeful note, but I thought most of the plot was pretty tense. Did others have the same impression.
    As for books turned into movies in general, I have mixed feelings. When done well, I think it's an extraordinary experience and having read the book only adds to the experience. Lord of the Rings comes to mind as an example. And sometimes, when the movie is a must-see, like Gone With the Wind or To Kill a Mockingbird, having read the book provides context to fill in the holes that just can't be recounted in the film version. But when the movie is done poorly...ugh! No specific examples come to mind off the top of my head, but I feel like I've walked out of a number of movies feeling totally disappointed. I'm worried the upcoming Hunger Games movie will fall into that category.
    Last, sometimes a mediocre movie will inspire me to pick up a book, which turns out to be truly enjoyable. For example, Circle of Friends. I ready the book after watching the movie, and not only was it much better, but it put me on a major Maeve Binchy kick.
    What are your favorite books-turned-movies?
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thought that comes to mind is the Harry Potter series. The movies ranged from painfully geared toward the PG audience, to completely cut to fit into a time limit, to added scenes to show off special effects, to really good cinematic experiences.

    Twilight is another series that I've been disappointed by in movie form. I am totally anti Kristen Steward and Rob Pattenson.

    A book-movie that I loved was White Orleander. I'm sure there are more but that's all that comes to mind for now.

    Miss H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss H, I am on the fence about the Twilight movies. I thought the books New Moon (and of course, Breaking Dawn) were totally lame, and I thought the New Moon movie was lame too. Twilight was okay, and Eclipse was okay too. Didn't love, but could live with them. Interestingly, Mr. DeWinter liked the New Moon movie best (yes, he was forced to sit through all three!)
    -RDeW

    ReplyDelete