Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Francophile Literature

I am currently reading a collection of short stories called Paris Was Our. A bunch of writers came together to make the collection, which are various stories about their experiences living in Paris. I was really excited when I picked it up, hopeful to relive a romanticized version of my 4 months in France. I have been somewhat disappointed in the stories, but there are a few that have brought the memories rushing back. Mostly, it has made me miss my time abroad even more. Besides the delicious food, what I miss most is the sense of adventure - feeling like anything was possible, and feeling that I was finally living my life out of my comfort zone.

I know at least 2 other Madwomen have spent some time in France. Is there anything in particular you miss or remember especially fondly?

Miss. Havisham

2 comments:

  1. One word: FOOD! When I was in Paris I didn't have the money or the wherewithal to really take advantage of all the different culinary opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I ate pretty well, but if I went back now it would be a whole different story.
    The beautiful thing about graduate school coming to an end for you is that, once again, you are on the verge of adventure and anything is possible. I am jealous!
    Have you read Paris to the Moon? As I recall, it's pretty decent. You can borrow it if you come to visit. Is that blatant bribery or what?
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking down the streets of Strasbourg during my lunch break chowing down on a crispy baguette with butter, ham and cheese - with all the Frenchies giving me dirty looks for walking and eating like a typical American. :)

    ReplyDelete