Sunday, January 9, 2011

Happy 2011!!

Happy New Year, Madwomen, and welcome to our new members! What better way to start off the new year than with some new madwomen to share our literary fun? Well, how about a group read!

We're hoping to pick out our very first group read for 2011. Once we come to an agreement, we will have until February 15th to read. After that date, it's free game to post about the book, and if you haven't finished, be warned of spoilers! In the meantime, please feel free to post about your independent pursuits!

So, now the hard part: selecting the group read! I spoke to Rebecca D. last week and we both picked out books that might work for the group. We came up with:

Room by Emma Donoghue
Here's the NY Times review http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/19/books/review/Bender-t.html

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
A review: http://lisamm.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/book-review-sarahs-key-by-tatiana-de-rosnay/

It certainly doesn't have to be either of those; if you have any ideas, please suggest them! It would be best to pick a book by next weekend to give everyone a month to read, so please, share your thoughts and ideas!

Happy Reading,

Miss Havisham

8 comments:

  1. I vote that we read Room- it does sound a bit disturbing, but I bet that will lead to some interesting conversations about it. It also seems like a completely different book than I would typically pick up at the book store.

    I'm excited to be part of the group! :o)

    -Miss Catherine Earnshaw (Melissa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Catherine! We're so glad that you're a part of the group!
    Rebecca DeWinter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also vote for Room. I agree that it was will be a conversation starter, and the review made me want to read more.

    I haven't figured out my literary name yet, but I am working on it.

    I am excited to read everyone's thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Forgot to sign my post.

    That was from me! (Tracy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, "Madwoman-to-be-named-later"! We are glad to have you. I have a feeling you will have interesting insights on Room, given that you spend most of your days with young kids.
    So, Room it is...unless Savannah and Clementine weigh in before Saturday with another view. I'm looking forward to it! Personally, I'm intrigued to see how the author well the author sustains the voice of a young child for the duration of a novel.
    Also, I don't know why, but the review weirdly reminded me a little of the Flowers in the Attic series. Anyone else read that in middle school? I read the series over and over again, as well as all of the Christopher Pike books!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered my copy of Room this weekend. I'm VERY excited to read this book!

    Miss H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to BN yesterday and they didn't have it in stock...whaaaat??? Ordering tonight! I can't wait!
    RDeW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah's Key wasn't that great, so good choice : ) Savannah

    ReplyDelete