Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Drowning Ruth

My literary life has suffered lately due to a lack of time and book recommendations. No one I know has read anything worth recommending to me, and as my two month old daughter has me trapped in the house most of the time due to her severe hatred of the car, I haven't made it to the store. I keep telling myself I need to get over my severe hatred of ereaders, but I can never quite bring myself to jump into the electronic book world.
Fortunately, the last time Dani visited she left me a copy of Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz. Part historical fiction, part psychological thriller, the book explores relationships between sisters, mothers and daughters, and close female friends. Although men appear on the periphery of the story, it's primarily a female world (but not in an overtly feminist way). Although I found the main character fairly despicable, her life included just enough tragedy to make her sympathetic as well. And I truly enjoyed the way the author varied the narrative voice by chapter. All in all, a satisfying read!
RDeW

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the rec--I heard this one was great! I just gave my mom back her copy of Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter about a murder in Mississippi. Fantastic characters--you might love it! I have an ereader but still take in most books the old fashioned way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about the e-reader made me laugh... I still find myself going to the library to pick up a book over ordering one on the e-reader. First, it saves cash... But also because I like to hold a book and flip the pages. I will admit, however, I ordered the 50 shades series on the e-reader to avoid stares on the train :) if I hear of a book I think you'll like I'll pass it on. Have you heard of 'gone girl' at all? A friend of mine read it and liked it...evidently a mind twister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miz Yank, I haven't heard of Crooked Letter...off to Amazon to learn more!
    M, I keep hearing about Gone Girl, but don't know anything about it. And I would be embarrassed to read Fifty Shades on the train too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! It came highly recommended from Oprah's Book Club!

    - Dani

    ReplyDelete