Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round...

I recently started working with a new client and my five minute commute has now turned into a forty-five minute one. Staying true to my New York roots, I refuse to brave the traffic on 495, and therefore have taken on a round-trip that involves three forms of transportation: a five minute ride in my car, a ten to twenty minute ride on the shuttle bus between my company's headquarters and the closest Metro station, and a ten minute ride on the Metro. The other ten to twenty minutes? Waiting for the Metro and shuttle bus.
When I commuted between Manhattan and Stamford, CT, I loved using the time to indulge in trashy novels. That commute was simple - all I had to carry was my purse and a book, and once I was on the train it was a non-stop trip. This one, however, is full of inconvenient interruptions, and I'm hampered by my purse, my laptop bag, and my lunchbox. By the time I really get sucked into a story, I have to stop, gather my belongings, transfer, and then get settled again. It was kind of hard to get focused on the story.
At first I listened to my iPod and furiously checked my smartphone, but after the first two days that got boring. And then I found the perfect solution...Shakespeare. See, my former students are performing in King Lear in the beginning of March, and I'm planning a big trip back to NY to see them and my best friend and former colleague whom I haven't seen in seven months. After getting off a marathon phone session with her two nights ago, I realized that if I was going to sit through three hours of King Lear, I darn well better re-familiarize myself with the plot. Although it used to be my second-favorite Shakespeare play, I haven't read it in about thirteen years, and the details had kind of faded...hazy memories of some nasty sisters a la Cinderella and a crazy old man in a winter storm, but that's about it. A few years ago, I sat through Love's Labor's Lost without ever having read it and it was torture, even for a Shakespeare-phile like me! Here's the thing though...who has time or inclination to actually sit down and read King Lear? Turns out, I do. It takes about ten to twenty minutes to read one scene...the exact amount of time I spend on the shuttle bus. The thin book tucks neatly into the side pocket of my laptop case. And I find that Shakespeare is easier to digest in smaller increments.
So, madwomen, that's what I've been reading lately. And considering the mind-numbingness of the eight hours I put in at my new client each day, I'm actually a little bit glad to stretch my brain each morning. Right not I'm on Act I, scene iv. When I'm done, I might try a little poetry...

2 comments:

  1. I applaud your intellectual reading! I am very impressed. I haven't picked up a work by Shakespeare since senior year of high school. Interestingly enough, King Lear was the last of his works I made my way through. I remember liking it much better than Hamlet and writing my term paper of the use of language in the play. Other than that, I've blocked it out of my memory.

    Will you be commuting to this client longterm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated Hamlet! Macbeth, on the other hand, was a fun one!
    I will be commuting to this client for at least the next year so I'm going to need lots of mini-intellectual reads once I'm done with King Lear. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete